Republic Services and NJR Clean Energy Ventures Turn New Jersey Brownfield into Green Energy with Completion of New 13 Megawatt Solar Project
South Brunswick, NJ (July 17, 2018) – Republic Services and NJR Clean Energy Ventures (CEV), the clean energy subsidiary of New Jersey Resources, today celebrated the completion of a 13 megawatt (MW) ground-mounted commercial solar project constructed on the former South Brunswick Landfill Superfund site. Comprised of more than 40,000 solar panels, the project will provide enough clean energy to power 1,360 homes annually. According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s carbon calculator, it will also reduce emissions by approximately 14,000 tons, equivalent to removing 2,700 cars from the road each year.
“We believe in leading by example in everything we do,” said Loan Mansy, area president of Republic Services. “And, this solar project reflects Republic’s ongoing commitment to environmental responsibility and our efforts to make a meaningful and lasting environmental difference in the communities we serve.”
“We are proud to join with Republic Services in making solar an important part of New Jersey’s energy future,” said Mark Valori, vice president of NJR Clean Energy Ventures. “Projects like this are made possible through a shared commitment to maximize underutilized space to provide clean energy to customers, advance New Jersey’s renewable energy goals and create a cleaner, fairer energy future for us all.”
The solar array is owned, operated and maintained by CEV and marks the completion of its 34th commercial solar project in the state. Brownfield sites, such as the South Brunswick landfill, provide an opportunity to harness energy from yesterday’s waste and convert it into renewable energy for tomorrow’s power needs. Projects like this also represent Republic’s continued commitment to the expanded applications of solar energy on former landfills, and complements its other solar projects in Massachusetts, Texas, Georgia and Nevada.
CEV’s total investment in New Jersey-based solar projects now total approximately $600 million, with a capacity of 194 MW. Any Solar Renewable Energy Certificates (SRECs) produced by the solar array are owned by CEV. SRECs are the credits generated by solar systems that can be sold to meet utility providers’ renewable energy requirements.
About Republic Services
Republic Services, Inc. is an industry leader in U.S. recycling and non-hazardous solid waste. Through its subsidiaries, Republic’s collection companies, recycling centers, transfer stations and landfills focus on providing effective solutions to make proper waste disposal effortless for its 14 million customers. “We’ll handle it from here.TM,” the brand’s promise, lets customers know they can count on Republic to provide a superior experience while fostering a sustainable Blue Planet for future generations to enjoy a cleaner, safer and healthier world. To view Republic’s Sustainability Report, go to RepublicServices.com/Sustainability.
For more information, visit the Republic Services website at RepublicServices.com. “Like” Republic on Facebook at www.facebook.com/RepublicServices and follow on Twitter @RepublicService.
About New Jersey Resources
New Jersey Resources (NYSE: NJR) is a Fortune 1000 company that, through its subsidiaries, provides safe and reliable natural gas and clean energy services, including transportation, distribution, asset management and home services. NJR is composed of five primary businesses:
- New Jersey Natural Gas, NJR’s principal subsidiary, operates and maintains over 7,400 miles of natural gas transportation and distribution infrastructure to serve over half a million customers in New Jersey’s Monmouth, Ocean and parts of Morris, Middlesex and Burlington counties.
- NJR Clean Energy Ventures invests in, owns and operates solar and onshore wind projects with a total capacity of nearly 320 megawatts, providing residential and commercial customers with low-carbon solutions.
- NJR Energy Services manages a diversified portfolio of natural gas transportation and storage assets and provides physical natural gas services and customized energy solutions to its customers across North America.
- NJR Midstream serves customers from local distributors and producers to electric generators and wholesale marketers through its 50 percent equity ownership in the Steckman Ridge natural gas storage facility, as well as its 20 percent equity interest in the PennEast Pipeline Project.
- NJR Home Services provides service contracts as well as heating, central air conditioning, water heaters, standby generators, solar and other indoor and outdoor comfort products to residential homes throughout New Jersey.
NJR and its more than 1,000 employees are committed to helping customers save energy and money by promoting conservation and encouraging efficiency through Conserve to Preserve® and initiatives such as The SAVEGREEN Project® and The Sunlight Advantage®. For more information about NJR, including its Fiscal 2017 Corporate Sustainability Report, visit www.njresources.com. Download our free NJR investor relations app for iPad, iPhone and Android.